Tuesday, November 9, 2010

It's Not Exactly Food...But Feast on This.

Although I'm not due for another blog update for a day or two, I just had to pass this along.

It's a 'Flash Opera' that took place at the Macys in Philly this past Saturday.

650+ singers burst into the Hallelujah Chorus at noon. Startling weary shoppers and eliciting broad smiles.

Okay. I admit it. I'm a sucker for this type of thing (I'm often tickled by Improv Everywhere and their antics on YouTube). But this particular one put chill bumps on my chill bumps. Click on the link below and see what I mean.

Eric Voegelin once coined the phrase 'Immanentize the Eschaton' (loosely meaning: trying to create heaven on earth) back in the 50's. William F. Buckley popularized it by saying 'Don't Immanentize the Eschaton' a little later on. College student fans of Buckley even sported buttons quoting him.

And with all the religious fruitcakes that dot our landscape I would have to agree with that sentiment.

But...

After hearing and sharing in the joy of these singers on the video, I must admit that perhaps I caught a brief glimpse of the Eschaton.

Sometimes God shows up. Even in Macys.

Like in the voice of that middle-aged black woman.

Or in that toddler dancing in the outstretched arms of her dad.

Or in that Generation Y guy taking pictures with his iPhone.

Or in that ten-year-old-boy who surely must've been wondering what the hell was going on.

I especially loved the placard that announced to those in attendance that they had just experienced 'A Random Act of Culture'. Kudos to the Opera Company of Philadelphia and all the choral groups who shared their voices.

I know this blog has nothing to do with food.

But perhaps we should all watch the video and chew on it for awhile. Bon appetit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_RHnQ-jgU

7 comments:

  1. got a little teary watching that, I gotta admit...but in my defense, I am incredibly pregnant with incredible hormones, but it was a great treat to watch that clip and read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warren, it was a sincere pleasure to visit your blog. I too am a follower of Buckley. I'm currently reading "Nearer, My God... great read. Loved your last post - didn't give a flying fig that it wasn't food in fact it was a nice change. Your blog is delightful and I wish you every success!
    Cheers,
    Pen
    http://ptsaldari.posterous.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that really is a wonderful thing to watch. I only wish I could have been among those shoppers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that video I wish I was there when they all burst out in song~it was beautiful! (I was in chorus in high school and love that kind of stuff!)

    ReplyDelete